Oops. Replying to my own post, after re-reading one of the messages in
this group a few more times (http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-
users/msg/559819ffc956337e) while waiting for my experiments to run I
finally realised that it's relevant to my too.

It turned out that the $fileserver and $urlbase were still pointing to
the other server (ds501). So I think what happened is that ds502 got
the certificate request, I signed it, then the puppet clients accessed
it, got hold of the manifests and even the templates, but they tried
to fetch the files from ds501 (the "working" server) which didn't
recognise the client certificate and refused access. Once we fixed
$fileserver to point to the right server things started dancing again.

TAKE AWAY from this (and other tackles by puppet problems): PLEASE
make it clear in the log messages where they are coming from and what
they complain about - is this error printed bythe puppet master? the
puppet client? Which host name? What string did it see in the
certificate vs. what did it expect?

Thanks.

--Amos