On Feb 5, 2009, at 11:48 AM, Steven Nemetz wrote:

>>> Anyone have any ideas what could have happened to these 4 systems?
>>
>> Might you have a fact that's broken, or something similar?  That's
>> been the cause of 99% of the startup hangs I've seen.
>>
>> --
>> It isn't necessary to have relatives in Kansas City in order to be
>> unhappy. -- Groucho Marx
>> Luke Kanies | http://reductivelabs.com | http://madstop.com
>>

> The only facts that have changed are the ones that facter 1.5.3
> installed.
> Facter will run from the command line.
>
> Only thing I've noticed since installing 1.5.3 is that if run as root
> facter returns all data with no errors, but if not run as root facter
> appears to return all data but it also returns an error on many
> systems.
> I've only seen 1 error per system, but 2 different errors (depending
> on
> which system)
> Errors are:
>       /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/facter/util/loader.rb:72: command
> not found:
>       /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/facter/util/ip.rb:145: command not
> found:
>
> This includes systems that are working. So I'm not sure if it could be
> related or not.

That 'command not found' thing was an uptime thing, I think.  If it's
not killing Facter, I wouldn't worry about it; it just makes a little
less data (that wasn't available in 1.5.2 anyway) available.

What about if you run Facter with --puppet, making sure it loads your
custom facts?

--
Due to circumstances beyond your control, you are master of your fate
and captain of your soul.