On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 07:25:54PM +0100, Arnau Bria wrote:
> I started with a simple scenario, a couple of nodes with a server, and
> few classes, all worked fine... But one day I faced first problem:
>
> err: Could not retrieve catalog: Could not parse for environment
> production
>
> after reading a lot, checking my conf one time and other, and
> other, and other I realized that I removed puppetmasterd link from
> /etc/puppet/ (puppetmaster complained about having two files with
> same conf) and the solution was creating it again, ignoring the
> log error...

OK, you've got something really strange going on.  I have noting in
/etc/puppet named puppetmasterd or anything like it.  I have a
section of /etc/puppet/puppet.conf named puppetmasterd, though.
Could you perhaps tar up your entire /etc/puppet/ and post it
somewhere?

> After that, I upgraded to a newer version, not latest, where I found a
> installation bug about creating $vardir directory... I could solve it
> by creating it by hand, but I faced some other problems like that
> version was not able to run puppetmasterd in debug mode and not sending
> the process to background...

You had a version of puppetmasterd in which
--no-daemonize --debug didn't work?  Which version would that be?

> So, I have to upgrade again, cause I think this feature is basic
> for debugging... OH! and I found that each section of puppetd
> needs its own variables... $vardir was default value for
> puppetmasterd if I did not specify them explicity.

I have *no* idea what you're talking about, nor do I know what
$vardir means here.

> until when? until I tried to configure mongrel (ok, it's mongrel, not
> puppet itself),

I haven't used mongrel with puppet specifically, but every
experience I've had with it has been horrible.

> balancing did not work,

If you need load balancing, look at haproxy

> So I had to reisntall nodes from 10 to 10, and worked fine... until
> when? until today, yes, I faced an old known problem:
>
> Could not retrieve catalog: Could not parse for environment production: No
> file(s) found for import of

No files found for import of what?  Looks like you're missing the
end of the line there.  Again, can you post the whole tarball?

> [r...@gridinstall tmp]# /usr/bin/ruby /usr/sbin/puppetmasterd
> --manifest=/etc/puppet/manifests/site.pp --no-daemonize --debug
> [r...@gridinstall tmp]# !ps
> ps -ef|grep puppet
> puppet   14551     1  0 19:05 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/ruby
> /usr/sbin/puppetmasterd --manifest=/etc/puppet/manifests/site.pp
> --no-daemonize --debug
> root     14555  2750  0 19:06 pts/0    00:00:00 grep puppet
>
> --no-daeemonize is not working again!!!

That's ... impressive.  Does /etc/puppet/puppet.conf specify
daemonize, perhaps?

> So, do you understand what am I felling? I mean, it's only me?

I have not had any of the problems you're describing, but then I've
never had any reason to run it with --no-daemonize or use mongrel.

-Robin

--
They say:  "The first AIs will be built by the military as weapons."
And I'm thinking:  "Does it even occur to you to try for something