On Mar 2, 2009, at 5:07 AM, Alexis Hazell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to set up puppet 0.24.5 using the packages provided for
> Mandriva 2009.0. After installing the packages and starting the
> puppetmaster service for the first time, the relevant CA certificates
> and keys are generated automatically and placed in subdirectories of
> $ssldir. However, when I then run puppetd on the same machine thus:
>
> $ puppetd --server myhost.mydomain --waitforcert 60 --test
>
> the command returns within 10 seconds with:
>
>    err: Could not retrieve catalog: Certificates were not trusted:
>    SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=SSLv2/v3 read server hello A:
>    unknown protocol
>    warning: Not using cache on failed catalog
>
> Nevertheless, a certificate for myhost.mydomain appears in $cadir/
> signed
> - despite there being no $confdir/autosign.conf file nor an 'autosign'
> entry in $confdir/puppet.conf.
>
> The Mandriva packages also include a couple of additional config
> files,
> /etc/sysconfig/puppetd and /etc/sysconfig/puppetmasterd; but every
> non-blank line in both those files is commented out.
>
> I assume it is indeed possible for a puppet server to have itself as a
> client? If so, what am I missing here?

That sounds more like a configuration problem or something; I don't
think I've seen that error.

Do you maybe have mongrel set up but have your client talking directly
to Mongrel, rather than through a proxy that does SSL termination for
you?

--
I don't deserve this award, but I have arthritis and I don't deserve
that either. -- Jack Benny