On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 10:48:23AM +0100, Patrick Debois wrote:
> > The only sure way to control what is pushed/pulled to your systems is to
> > maintain a local package mirror.  Then you can make sure that only
> > the packages you want are visible to your hosts.
> >

> So that means, you would need to setup a repository per patch
> combination you want to test?

You didn't way you wanted arbitrary combinations, just combinations up
to an arbitrary date, which is simpler to manage.  You don't even need
genuine multiple mirrors; you could use dirvish or rdiff-backup to
create a series of apparent snapshots.

> Even when you sync a repository, you always get the latest version
> mirrored. That means if I need to re-install a machine and rebuild the
> repository, I can't get it in the same state I want.

Debian manages that problem with it's release structure, but you
probably don't want to hear that.

> Is there any way to retrieve the date a package was released? I've been
> thinking of writing a yum-filter but don't find the exact release-date info.

If you used dirvish to make a snapshot of your yum repo every time you
update it, you can always go back to a particular state of the repo.
It's a lightweight solution.

--
Bruce

I object to intellect without discipline.  I object to power without
constructive purpose. -- Spock