On 2009-May-12, at 2:30 AM, Jean Spirat wrote:

>   i would like to upgrade but this is the package of the debian lenny
> which is the latest so perhaps a backport would be the solution but i
> couldn't find anyone, using the squeeze pinning of apt i need to
> upgrade
> all those:

I was able to get the latest puppet from unstable without it messing
with anything else. I warn you that I don't understand this all that
well and this is largely based on Google + trial and error, but it
seems to work well.

My /etc/apt/preferences looks like this:

     Package: *
     Pin: release a=stable
     Pin-Priority: 900

     Package: *
     Pin: release a=testing
     Pin-Priority: 700

     Package: *
     Pin: release a=unstable
     Pin-Priority: 600

And I added these lines to /etc/apt/sources.list (adjust to point to
your local mirror):

     # Testing and Unstable (low priority)
     deb http://ftp.uwsg.indiana.edu/linux/debian/ testing main non-free
     deb-src http://ftp.uwsg.indiana.edu/linux/debian/ testing main
non-free
     deb http://ftp.uwsg.indiana.edu/linux/debian/ unstable main non-
free
     deb-src http://ftp.uwsg.indiana.edu/linux/debian/ unstable main
non-free

Then you can run:

     aptitude update
     aptitude install puppet/unstable
     # or
     aptitude install puppetmaster/unstable

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>

Don't try to tell me a thing is important to you if the whole of your
"support" entails forcing other to spend time and money on it.