On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Trevor Vaughan <peiriann...@gmail.com>wrote:

> While this is kind of kludg-y, might you try building the multipart
> file with Puppet itself:
>
> http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/wiki/Recipes/BuildingMultipartFiles
>
> It's useful for building files where you have chunked sections and, of
> course, you can use templates etc... where necessary.
>
> I have no idea what it does to performance though.
>
> Trevor

This is a cool trick, but it's solving a fundamentally different problem
than using Augeas would.  With this approach, you're saying "here's exactly
what should be in the file; I don't care what's there already, replace it
with this".  In contrast, the Augeas approach is "I'm not sure what's in the
file already, but here is the list of changes that need to be made to the
file; make these changes, but leave the rest of the file (including
comments) alone."

I tend to favor the former approach, of specifying exactly what should be in
a given config file; it's the approach I take with our Netomata Config
Generator (NCG) tool (http://www.netomata.com/products/ncg).  It's not the
right approach for all circumstances, though, and Augeas might be useful in
those cases.

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman <br...@netomata.com>