2009/5/27 Brian Ferris <bdfer...@gmail.com>:
> I understand that I can only edit files where permissions allow.  But can I
> run puppet without a "puppet" user?
>
> Basically, after reading over the documentation, I noticed a number of
> references to users ("puppet") and paths (/var/...) that puppet needs to run
> that I won't be able to create / have access to because I don't have root on
> the boxes.  But I didn't see any obvious command lines options / config
> settings for changing those users and paths.
>
> I understand if this is not how puppet was designed to be used, but I
> figured I'd give it a shot.

You can use --confdir:

puppetmasterd --verbose --confdir /home/user/puppet/

gepetto might help you setup a sandboxed local puppetmaster and client

http://github.com/albanpeignier/gepetto/tree/master

The other option here is to not run puppetd/puppetmasterd and just use
the puppet binary and some other way of distributing manifests and use
puppet executable to run them.

Paul