Russell Adams wrote:
> I run puppet via cron as my local user, for basic stuff. One of my
> favorites is an auto-cleaning temporary directory. I throw cruft in
> here, and I won't miss it after two weeks, and no more manual cleanup.
>
> For example, my ~/.puppet.pp:
>
> tidy { "/home/rladams/tmp":
>   age => "2w"
>   , backup => false
>   , recurse => true
>   , rmdirs => true
>   , type => "mtime"
> }
>
> Crontab:
> 0 5 * * *               /usr/bin/puppet --verbose /home/rladams/.puppet.pp >
> ~/.puppet.log 2>&1
>
> You can't do anything that requires root privs, but you can
> create/maintain directories, perms on files you own, operations, etc.
>
> Good luck!

puppetd runs as a non-root user:

geo...@chiraz-60:~/svk/puppet/trunk$ puppetd --test
info: Creating a new certificate request for
chiraz-60.trinity.unimelb.edu.au
info: Creating a new SSL key at
/home/geoffc/.puppet/ssl/private_keys/chiraz-60.trinity.unimelb.edu.au.pem
warning: peer certificate won't be verified in this SSL session
err: Could not request certificate: Certificate retrieval failed:
Certificate request does not match existing certificate; run 'puppetca
--clean chiraz-60.trinity.unimelb.edu.au'.

I imagine if you setup a ~/.puppet.conf with some settings that specify
to use a different SSL certificate, or to connect to a different puppet
master than what your root puppetd connects to, you would get past the
SSL problem I've got here, and start having a puppetd running with the
permissions of that user. Either that or you'd find a few other minor
issues to work around.

--
+-Geoff Crompton
+--Debian System Administrator