> But can puppet make this easier for me? What I'd like to do instead is:
> node 'oldwebserver' {
> }
>
> At the moment puppet doesn't behave in that manner, it simply leaves the
> Package and File resources in their last configured state, and forgets
> about them. So I was wondering if it is possible for a storeconfigs
> database to store some history of configs?
>
> If it is possible (or if it's possible to build that feature in), is it
> possible with that history to determine when a resource changes from
> existing in the manifest, to not existing in the manifest?
>
> If that is possible (or could be built in), could you make puppet
> automatically remove that resource from the client system if it detects
> a resource has been removed?

Well there was a long discussion about this on the list a while back.
In a nutshell having puppet automagiclly removing things was generally
a bad idea as it could have very large nasty unexpected side effects.
one of the goals of a good configuration management system is no
surprises.

Udo's include foo {ensure => absent} idea might be a way around the
surprise issue. Still explicitly set by the user, but using puppets
internal knowledge to make things happen.

Evan