> One possibility would be to include site::global within
> site::nyresearch. Then the class would receive all variables.
Wow, how did I miss that? That may very well solve a bunch of my
problems- it's not as transparent as I would prefer (you can't see at
a glance what resources a node references) but it has got to be better
than what I'm dealing with now. Thanks for the feedback.

>    $global_ntp
>    $nyresearch_ntp
>    $local_ntp
>
> and use a custom function to make a site specific lookup in the ntp class:
>
>    $ntp_master = site_value("ntp")
I considered doing that but it just feels like a lot of work for
something I think should just be part of the language.

Thanks for all the good tips everyone.

-Don