Hi

> I also noticed this today.
> Is there a better yum provider?
> I want to ensure cups and all the crap it comes with is absent.
> puppet calls rpm -e cups and fails on dependencies check.
>
> thanks for any tips

have a look at the code @ lib/puppet/provider/package/yum.rb

you'll see that the yum provider inherits from the rpm provider and
doesn't override the uninstall/absent method. Hence it uses the one from
the rpm provider.

So you could add an overrided method of uninstall. (and propose it to
the -dev list?!)

While looking at the code and
http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/wiki/TypeReference#package you'll
also see that the yum provider is purgeable and that the yum provider
has an own purge method.
So if this would fit your needs you can set ensure to purged and it
would use yum -y erase $package

cheers pete