After all the Regex magic that has just ensued on the Dev list, this
should be pretty easy :-) (magic, I say!).

Having a regex match on the File type would actually be useful in a
lot of cases.  *But* it needs to be able to be sped up.

Something like forking to the native tools to do the match and perms
might work, but at least something that gets rid of the 'recursive
directory management nightmare' where you checksum and/or record
millions of files just because you wanted to only change the
permissions.

In any case, you could then do thing like:

foo/ -> 755
foo/*.conf -> 640
foo/*.user -> 644

But, I could see ordering becoming quite important in this case.

Extremely low priority even if people do decide that it is a good idea.

Trevor