On Fri, 2009-07-31 at 17:07 +0100, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
> Also the grub lens only works if /boot/grub/grub.conf resides on the
> same file system as /etc otherwise augtool craps out with an error about
> being unable to save a cross file system link. Short of editing the lens
> file, I'm not sure how to solve that one. If anyone knows how to fix
> that without the edit then that would be great :)

You can tell Augeas to copy files if it can't move them by
setting /augeas/save/copy_if_rename_fails to an arbitrary value, i.e.
put

        set /augeas/save/copy_if_rename_fails something

as the first thing into your changes. Obviously, this needs to be
documented somewhere ;) The reason that Augeas doesn't fall back to
copying by default is that copying is a lot riskier than write to temp
file + move (as in: you can end up with a completely garbled config file
if the power fails at the wrong moment).

You can always override any file that is shipped with Augeas by putting
a file with the same name into /usr/share/augeas/lenses (the default
lenses live in /usr/share/augeas/lenses/dist)

David