Hi All,

An update on this thread..

Based upon some real world testing, I've updated the Passenger wiki to
give some performance and with memory consumption (one of the main
reasons for switching to Passenger right?):

http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/wiki/UsingPassenger

Let me know if you have any comments, suggestions.

------
Suggested Tweaks

Based upon my (Larry Ludwig) testing of passenger/puppetmasterd I
recommend adjusting these options in your apache configuration.

PassengerPoolIdleTime - Set to 5 min or less. The shorting this option
allows for puppetmasterd to get refreshed at some interval. This
option is also somewhat dependent upon the amount of puppetd nodes
connecting and at what interval.
PassengerMaxPoolSize - to 15% more instances than what's needed. This
will allow idle puppetmasterd to get recycled. The net effect is less
memory will be used, not more.
PassengerUseGlobalQueue on - Since communication with the puppetmaster
from puppetd is a long process (more than 20 seconds in most cases)
and will allow for processes to get recycled better
PassengerHighPerformance on - The features Passenger offers with this
feature disabled are not needed with Puppet.
No different than with traditional web servers, once your service
starts using swap performance degradation will occur. So be mindful of
your memory/swap usage on your Puppetmaster.

To monitor the age of your puppetmasterd processes within Passenger, run

passenger-status
the output you should be concerned with is: