I am just learning puppet and as can be expected I am making lots and
lots of mistakes.

One thing I find very frustrating is that the puppet client seems to
fail very silently even when I run it manually.

When I am debugging I use the command line.

puppetd --server myserver.com  --test --logdest console --verbose --
noop --onetime  --debug  --test --trace

I am expecting that a file should exist someplace after the puppet
client runs this, the file is not there and there are no errors.

What happens when puppetd is running unattended? How will I know I
made a mistake or that some task failed?

Can I configure puppet to email me all the errors or if puppet can't
apply any formula?