On Sep 17, 2:53 pm, David Sowder <davidrsow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm in the process of upgrading a bunch of our Puppet clients from 0.22.4 to
> 0.24.8 after recently upgrading our puppetmaster similarly.
>
> I've run into a problem that seems like it'd be so likely seen by someone
> else that if the problem isn't local, I'd be somewhat surprised, yet at the
> same time, my install is simply a locally compiled copy of a source RPM from
> Fedora's EPEL project IIRC (from the .spec file changelog: "Mon Mar 23 2009
> Todd Zullinger <t...@pobox.com> - 0.24.8-1.1").
>
> The client is a RHEL 5 x86_64 box and the issue seems to boil down to
> "--server puppet.uta.edu" not working as a command-line argument to
> /usr/sbin/puppetd (with no complaint about an unknown argument like it does
> with "--Server puppet.uta.edu") but working fine if I specify a "server =
> puppet.uta.edu" line in my /etc/puppet/puppetd.conf file.  It looks like
> there is some sort of systematic problem since both "--genconfig" and
> "--configprint all" don't seem to have any effect.
>
> An example of "--server" failing to recognized:
>
> # /usr/sbin/puppetd --server puppet.uta.edu --test
> warning: Certificate validation failed; consider using the certname
> configuration option
> err: Could not retrieve catalog: Certificates were not trusted: hostname not
> match with the server certificate (hostname: puppet  CNs: puppet.uta.edu, )
> warning: Not using cache on failed catalog
> #
>
> (The stuff in parenthesis at the end was a local hack I made to
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/openssl/ssl.rb when trying to track down the issue.)
>
> "/usr/sbin/puppetd --test --configprint all" gives the same output as above.
>
> Any ideas on what I may have screwed up that causes these command-line
> options to be ignored?  "--test" is not ignored, so it might have something
> to do with how the options are defined.

I have no idea what you may have done wrong, if anything, but for my
CentOS 5 / x86(32) environment I downloaded the 0.24.8 source tarball
from ReductiveLabs, updated the included rpm spec file slightly (reply
to me by e-mail if you want details), and built it.  The resulting RPM
works for me, including puppetd command-line options.  It is perhaps
relevant that I have /etc/puppet/puppet.conf on my systems, but no /
etc/puppet/puppetd.conf.

John