I don't know the answer to how long the cache hangs around or how to modify
how long it will use the cache but I know that if you run puppet with the
--test option it forces puppet to ignore the cache which is a lot less
annoying then editing the yaml file.  I suppose in the puppet.conf for your
clients you could put ignorecache = true and it will always compile the
manifest for you.
Chris