Douglas,

> I'm getting really really frustrated with puppet.

I also had a tough time configuring the client and the server part on
the same host.

I finally settled down to completely seperate the 2, by starting
puppetmaster with "--confdir=/etc/puppetmaster".

I then have a super simple puppetmaster setup:

$ find /etc/puppetmaster/
/etc/puppetmaster/
/etc/puppetmaster/fileserver.conf
/etc/puppetmaster/manifests
/etc/puppetmaster/facts
/etc/puppetmaster/puppet.conf

And /etc/puppetmaster/puppet.conf basically breaks down to:

[main]
  vardir = /var/lib/puppetmaster
  logdir = /var/log/puppetmaster
  rundir = /var/run/puppetmaster
  ssldir = $vardir/ssl

  # puppetmaster needs to read plugins run by clients
  libdir = /var/lib/puppet/lib

  environments = prod,test,dev

[puppetmasterd]
  storeconfigs = true
  dbadapter = mysql

... environment configuration follows ...

This way I have all the puppet-server stuff in
/{etc,var/lib,var/log,var/run}/puppetmaster/ and all the
puppet-client stuff in /{etc,var/lib,var/log,var/run}/puppet/

Hope this helps !

Marc