> but when checking the processlist, runInstaller is not there

Hmm, why do you send the installer to the background? The whole idea of
puppet is that it manages the state of your resources. In your case this
is now the resource oracle which should be in the state "installed"
(maybe even more, but this is what we are talking now about). But if you
send the installer to the background and let puppet terminate the state
of your resource can't be known to puppet.

Anyway I tried to run exec{"/usr/bin/yes foo &": } with puppet and the
process was still there so this works theoretically. But I don't see it
as a good idea anyway, as backgrounding a process always exits with 0:

$ /bin/false &
[1] 6966
$ echo $?
0
[1]+  Exit 1                  /bin/false

as the process was always successfully backgrounded.

so you'll never know with which exitcode the process actually exited and
you'll never know the actual state nor if there have been any problems.

I assume that your installer exits later with something different than 0
and even prints out a message, but as puppet isn't catching anymore any
output of this process you don't even see it.

What if you take the & away?

cheers pete