On Oct 19, 2009, at 7:56 AM, LdvT wrote:

> I wouldn't mind having failure detection.
>
> Say somehow a bad copy of a .conf file is distributed; and the service
> fails to start.
> If that can be detected and used as a condition, puppet could than
> call up another manifest to drop in a default/backup copy of the .conf
> file and restart the service almost immediately.
> Toss in a notify function on that manifest, and it would be a very
> handy feature for making changes on diverse production systems.

My goal has always been to support this, but I've never quite gotten
there, and it's never seemed to matter enough to people that.

At the least, you need every resource to be reversible (including
execs), and you need a more consistent internal event log than we
currently maintain, but I think ordering issues become really
complicated too -- if you installed a package then started a service,
you have to do them in the inverse order, but if you modified a file
and restarted the service then you have to do them in the same order.

Basically, you need a much richer language for talking about
dependencies, and I think that's the real complexity.

--
Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those
voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face