Hi Mark,
I can understand your frustration. We have been struggling with Puppet
and SSL a lot lately. Our setup is similar but a bit more complicated
so your scenario shouldn't pose any issues. Try this (assuming you are
starting from scratch):

1. Start the production puppet master as usual. This will be your CA.
2. In your development puppet master, set ca = false and ca_server =
production.hostname in puppet.conf in the puppetmasterd section. Also
set server = production.hostname in the puppetd section.
3. In your development puppet master, run puppetd first! This is
needed to generate the certificates and request the CA to sign them.
If you start puppetmasterd first it will fail.
4. Sign the development puppet master certificate on your production
puppet master or set autosign.
5. Once the certificate is signed, re-run puppetd to verify.
6. Start the development puppet master.
7. In your development clients, set ca_server = production.hostname to
have the production puppet master sign their certificates since its
your only CA.

Cheers,
Atha