Evening All,

I've been getting a random number of copies of report mails, the same
report sent multiple times at the same second, and finally got tired
enough of it to look into it.

They are sent from puppet rather than a mail server issue.

I get one extra copy every time the client gets a "warning: Other end
went away; restarting connection and retrying".

Updating the server from 0.24.8 to 0.25.1 did not improve matters.

Running with client 0.24.5 debug ends with

debug: Calling puppetreports.report
warning: Other end went away; restarting connection and retrying
warning: Other end went away; restarting connection and retrying
info: Sent transaction report in 3.29 seconds
notice: Finished catalog run in 11.40 seconds

upgrading the client to 0.24.8 client debug ends with

debug: Calling puppetreports.report
info: Other end went away; restarting connection and retrying
info: Other end went away; restarting connection and retrying
info: Sent transaction report in 3.66 seconds
notice: Finished catalog run in 12.61 seconds

so the level has been reduced to info but I still get the multiple
report mails

updating to 0.25.1 seems to deal with the repeated mails though I see

err: Reporting failed: end of file reached

Updating clients to 0.25.1 across the board is probably not an option
for me so I'd like to fix the reporting from a server side if possible.

My tagmail.conf is just
all: an-addr...@that.goes.to.me

Neil

disclaimer: http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/secretariat/legal/disclaimer.htm