I understand and sympathize with the political/legal reasons. We obviously
want to do our best to support default RHEL4 configurations (since we have
so many RHEL4 nodes running Puppet) and it is unfortunate that the available
rake RPM lags JUST behind our requirements.

Try running things with a rake >= 0.8.3 dependency in config/environment.rb
and see if things break. There may be a simple way to fix it (by
monkey-patching rake inside our application, for instance) or it just might
work, which would be fantastic. I'll do some digging myself as well.

Rein Henrichs
http://reductivelabs.com