So for your example you would want to remove all host entries that point to 192.168.1.1 except the buildserver host entry?
Or you want the buildserver host entry to be removed?
Or you want to replace whatever host entry buildserver has, with 192.168.1.1?

Peter wrote:
I have

  host { "hosts buildserver" :

                ip => "192.168.1.1"

                name => "buildserver",

                ensure => present,

        }

so how do I ensure aliases are absent

  host { "hosts buildserver" :

                ip => "192.168.1.1",

                name => "buildserver",

                ensure => present,

                alias =>  ensure => absent,
        }
I think Ohad meant:

host { "hosts buildserver" :

               ip => "192.168.1.1",

               name => "buildserver",

               ensure => absent,
       }

but I'm not sure that's what you want..

That doesn't seem to make sense and I get

Jan 14 01:22:04 buildserver puppetd[1212]: [ID 702911 daemon.error]
Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER:
Could not parse for environment production: Syntax error at '=>';
expected '}' at /etc/puppet/manifests/nodes.pp:113

Perhaps I wasn't clear with my question I meant the alias for the host
(the host type).

Or do I just have the syntax wrong.

I have tried

alias => undef,
alias => '',
alias => [],
alias => [undef],
alias =>[undef],

none of which seem to remove the alias if it is already in the host
file and do this only once not every time puppetd runs.

Thanks

Peter

Silviu