Mark,

On Feb 2, 3:39 pm, Mark Plaksin <ha...@usg.edu> wrote:

> The pup...@sun case study recently posted to the RL blog [1] says they
> use Puppet to make security patching easier.  Anybody know how they do
> that?  Is there some magic in Puppet which makes patching Solaris easier?

since I'm the one who said it I think I should answer :)

The way that puppet makes it easier for us to patch is that when there
is a security issue, we can usually start by deploying a mitigation,
e.g. disable the service, or update the ipfilter config to block the
service in question, or some other kind of action. Then we can
schedule normal downtime and patch in an orderly fashion, instead of
scrambling to patch 650 systems at once.

We have also used a custom facts to gather info from all systems, and
report back if they are vulnerable to a specific issue or not.

Let me know if you have more questions...

cheers,
/Martin