Hi,
We have several puppetmasters running with ca= false and passenger. They are
currently 0.25.3 but were at some point 0.24.8.

Basically, once you have setup your ca, in a node intended to be puppetmaster,
run the client FIRST with ca_server pointing to your ca. The client generates
the certificates and get the ca ceertificate. Then you can run the puppetmaster
with ca = false.

Our non-ca puppetmasters' puppet.conf looks like this:

# file managed by puppet
[main]
logdir = /var/log/puppet
vardir = /var/lib/puppet
ssldir = /var/lib/puppet/ssl
rundir = /var/run/puppet
factpath = $vardir/lib/facter
pluginsync = true

manifest = /etc/puppet/manifests/site.pp
modulepath = /etc/puppet/modules
templatedir = /etc/puppet/templates

[puppetmasterd]
# CA
ca = false
ca_server = puppeteer.domain.com
syslogfacility = info

# Enable Foreman reports
reports=log, foreman

# for Passenger
ssl_client_header = SSL_CLIENT_S_DN
ssl_client_verify_header = SSL_CLIENT_VERIFY

# Use Foreman
node_terminus=exec
external_nodes=/etc/puppet/scripts/node.rb

[puppetd]
server = puppeteer.domain.com
report = true

Hope this helps.