One problem that we frequently run into while building and supporting
puppet infrastructures, is some cowboy developer who insists that he
needs Python 3.1, PHP6, SWiG 1.3.40, etc, and these packages are not
available in our Distro's stable package repository.

Have you ever tried to build a slotted Python RPM in RHEL? Pardon my
lack of RHCE, but it can be rather time consuming!

I recently came across a project called "checkinstall"
http://www.asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/

Checkinstall acts as a wrapper for `make install`. When you compiled
your copy of php7(or whatever crazy version your developers
require..) : ./configure ; ./make ; ./make check ; checkinstall make
install

Check install will ask you if you would like to build RPM, Deb, or a
Slackware package (for the 5 remaining Slackware users out there.) You
can also specify some basic dependencies and provides meta-data in
your package.

I've only used checkinstall for a few small packages, however the tool
could be very useful to some of the lazy puppet admins out there who
need to support crazy versions of various packages via puppet.