On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 11:47 AM, foilpan <foil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i've been reading docs and blundering my way through a simple puppet
> client/server setup between two test hosts (puppetmasterd on server
> 10.5.8, puppet client on client 10.6.2) and am wondering if there's
> any current definitive guide for configuring puppet for os x systems.
>
> it also seems the gems installed on my client with ruby 1.9.1 as
> default don't work very well yet. i'm going to try uninstalling
> everything on the client side and reinstall just the ruby 1.8 pkg or
> gems, i guess.

Hang on a second... You shouldn't be doing any reinstalling of software...

Ruby 1.8 comes with OS X.

Ruby 1.9 is unsupported by Puppet as James said.

I don't believe you need *any* extra gems on top of a base OS X
install to run puppetmasterd under webrick (the default getting
started scenario)

If you've been messing around with your Ruby install, you want to
ensure on 10.5/6 that these symlinks are still there.

nigelk$ ls -lad /usr/lib/ruby /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  76 Feb  2 15:56 /usr/lib/ruby ->
../../System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/Current/usr/lib/ruby
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  47 Feb  2 15:56 /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby ->
../../../../../../../../../../Library/Ruby/Site

There are a good number of Ruby installs around for OS X that mess up
these symlinks.

If you really want to just try getting started with Puppet, can I
suggest MacPorts? We have the latest puppet and facter available as
Ports, and it's a completely self-contained setup, where you can
uninstall the ports once you're satisfied things work the way you
expect.

We do not have a good getting started guide for running puppetmasterd
on OS X. I'd like to have one :)

> i'd really like to get this going but have spent most of my time
> wading through the wiki and searching for answers to various errors.
> thanks in advance for any tips.
>
> - nate

nigel