On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 1:19 PM, James Turnbull <ja...@lovedthanlost.net> wrote:

> On 4/03/10 12:00 PM, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
>> We've learnt a lesson from this:
>>
>> * Don't use ensure=>latest unless you have complete control over the
>> packages that will be installed.
>
> This is serious truth. If you don't control upstream versioning then
> specify versions otherwise ensure => latest will do just that -
> install the latest version.
>
>> I am concerned that Epel jumped a major version that enforced so many
>> major changes, but I guess that's our fault for trusting that things
>> would stay the same! :P
>>

> I'll let the EPEL guys respond here but they only increment releases
> after extensive testing.
>
> Regards

I am only speaking as a member of the EPEL SIG.. do not take this as
an Official EPEL policy announcement.

EPEL tries to offer packages to two sometimes competing communities:
people who want very stable stuff, and people who want to use more
cutting edge items. I have found that most of the requests on mailing
lists tends to be more of the cutting edge stuff, and fewer on keeping
stuff the way things were. puppet-0.25 has been in EPEL-testing for a
while and has been tested with Fedora Infrastructure for at least the
last month before being pushed to EPEL-stable.

Puppet is one of those items that some people want to be near the
latest as things change quite a bit (usually for the better :)).
However in this case it has caused problems for others. We can look at
ways to better communicate these changes in the future, and would love
suggestions. Or more testers in to tell us "we can't get X working
don't push to stable yet."

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning