Hi Brian,

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Brian Keifer <br...@valinor.net> wrote:

> I'm just starting out with puppet and have been seeing problems very
> similar to those in ticket #3083:
>
>    http://projects.reductivelabs.com/issues/3083
>
> First, an overview of my configuration.  I have three physical servers,
> each running puppet 0.25.4.  One of the servers is going to be my
> puppetmaster as well as a client.  The other two servers in my configuration
> will only be puppetd clients.  Their forward and reverse DNS do not match
> and, for political reasons, I can't change them.
>
> I've set up puppetmasterd running on the main IP address of the first
> server.  The puppetmaster's puppet.conf contains:
>
>    certname = server.example.com
>
> And the client's puppet.con contains:
>
>    certname = client1.example.com
>
> When I run puppetd with:
>
>    puppetd --server server.example.com --fqdn client1.example.com
>
> I get the following for some seemingly random number of files in my
> manifests:
>
> puppetd[67238]: (//stats/File[/home/procrast/stats/denora.conf]) Failed to
> retrieve current state of resource: undefined method `closed?' for
> nil:NilClass Could not retrieve file metadata for puppet://
> badger.valinor.net/stats/denora.conf: undefined method `closed?' for
> nil:NilClass at /etc/puppet/modules/stats/manifests/init.pp:15
>
> I gather from my reading that it's DNS related somehow, but I'm not sure
> what else I need to set in order to override whatever puppet thinks the
> client/server should be.

1. Check the source attribute assignment.

source => puppet:///modules/stats/denora.conf

the third slash means use same server address as the server we connected to.

maybe its hardcoded to be the server name?

2. you could also try:

[puppetmasterd]
   certdnsnames=badger.valinor.net<http://badger.valinor.net/stats/denora.conf>

on the server if you need this name to be accepted by the cert.

> Thanks in advance!
>
> -Brian

hope this helps,

Dan