You can have variables provided by facter (run the command facter on
an host to see its variables) and define your custom variables, with
extreme care to how they are scoped in puppet.
http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/wiki/LanguageTutorial#variable-scope

This article well explains Puppet and variables scoping:
http://about.digg.com/blog/master-puppets-2-speaking-language

Read also here
http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/wiki/PuppetTemplating

Al