On 3/15/2010 6:49 PM, Michael DeHaan wrote:
Yeah that's certainly one of the things I want to do, as is if we're
calling out to a command to parse it and can cache/process it in one
time as opposed to calling a billion ifconfig/dmidecodes that'd be
good too.

Yep, if you're shelling out or executing 'puppet' without the daemon,
in memory caching doesn't work.  (But how slow are we really?)

munin has the same problem on the agents: shelling out with a simple text pipe interface gives HUGE(!!) flexibility but hurts collection performance.

> Cache dir would be simple though...
>
> You could simply stat the file and see when the last fact storage run
> happened, and each module could set (or not set) a timeout on a
> case-by-case basis.
> No timeout would mean don't cache, so it would automatically work with
> any existing facts, and the facts wouldn't have to implement the
> caching
> themselves.

Exactly, just add a "ttl-hint: 24" (hours) value to the JSON.

On the other hand, stuff like --test should probably ignore such hints.

Best Regards, David

--
dasz.at OG              Tel: +43 (0)664 2602670     Web: http://dasz.at
Klosterneuburg                                         UID: ATU64260999

       FB-Nr.: FN 309285 g          FB-Gericht: LG Korneuburg