Hi,

I exposed few days ago this situation on the IRC, but unfortunately I
haven't found a way to solve it yet.

I run the Puppet Master with multiple environments, and everything is
working good but a couple of nodes that are causing me some troubles.

These nodes are pointing to my production environment and I need to point
them back to development to grab some changes I made.

I usually follow these steps on the clients once I've tested in my own
environment:
1. Stop puppet daemon.
2. Test the new config pointing to development environment.
3. Run puppetd pointing to development.
4. Verify change.
5. Start Puppet.

This is a test I did with a similar node:

Testing pointing to *development*:

[app03 ~]# /usr/sbin/puppetd --test -vt --*environment*=*development*
--snip--
notice: Finished catalog run in 30.42 seconds
[app03 ~]# grep -m2 -P "/development/|/production/"
/var/lib/puppet/localconfig.yaml
  file: /opt/puppet/*development*/site.pp
        file: /opt/puppet/*development*/modules/ntp/manifests/init.pp

 Testing now pointing to *production*:

[app03 ~]# /usr/sbin/puppetd --test -vt --*environment*=*production*
--snip--
notice: Finished catalog run in 30.55 seconds
[eapp03 ~]# grep -m2 -P "/development/|/production/"
/var/lib/puppet/localconfig.yaml
  file: /opt/puppet/*production*/site.pp
        file: /opt/puppet/*production*/classes/puppet.pp

When doing the same on the node I see the strange behavior this is what I
get:

[app01 ~]# /usr/sbin/puppetd --test -vt --environment=*development*
--snip--
[app01 ~]# grep -m2 -P "/development/|/production/"
/var/lib/puppet/localconfig.yaml
        file: /opt/puppet/*production*/classes/yumrepos.pp
        file: /opt/puppet/*production*/classes/yumrepos.pp

I've tried:

   - Removing the cache in the server
   ($vardir/yaml/{node,facts}/app01.example.com.yaml) and puppetca --clean
   app01.example.com
   - Restarted the server(using passenger).
   - Removed the client $vardir/*
   - Reinstalled puppet client.

All of them with the *same result.*

The nodes with these issues are being hosted with a third party hosting
company, don't think there is any relationship with this as communications
are made between the client/server, but seems like I can't find any other.

Any suggestion is appreciated,  Thanks for reading this.

This is what I use:

PuppetMaster 0.24.8
Puppetclients 0.24.8
passenger (2.2.4)

puppet.conf:
---snippet---
environments = production,testing,development
    manifest = /opt/puppet/production/site.pp
    modulepath = /opt/puppet/production/modules

[production]
    manifest = /opt/puppet/production/site.pp
    modulepath = /opt/puppet/production/modules

[testing]
    manifest = /opt/puppet/testing/site.pp
    modulepath = /opt/puppet/testing/modules

[development]
    manifest = /opt/puppet/development/site.pp
    modulepath = /opt/puppet/development/modules

---snippet---

--
Tony