I have two servers in every site that are dedicated for infrastructure
servers, but they run in active/passive state with a VIP IP that floats
between the two of them.  That IP is used for DNS, Cobbler, Puppet, ftp,
http, etc etc.  What I would like is to have SSL certs work between the two
nodes but obviously only use the floating VIP.  I am not 100% sure on how to
accomplish this, as well doing it an automated fashion.

I read the puppet scalibility setup on the wiki, assuming thats a chained
certificate setup?