Avi Miller <avi.mil...@gmail.com> writes:
> Douglas Garstang wrote:
>
>> I need to pass sensitive options, ie passwords, on the command line,
>> and don't want them to appear in log files.
>
> I work around this by storing passwords in scripts distributed by File{}
> resources that are mode 400 to root and then Exec'ing the script. That way,
> all the log/catalog sees is the script being run, but not the actual
> password itself.

That still exposes it to anyone on the machine at all[1], since they can read
it from the command line of the running process; the same is true of putting
it in the environment.

You really want the process to read it from a secure file, or to wrap it in
expect or something, if you don't trust local users.[2]

> Though, if someone has permission to read /var/log/messages, then they can
> probably also read root scripts, so YMMV.

I was going to say the same thing, then I thought about the number of places
that ship logs to something: a puppet dashboard, a central logging server, or
somewhere similar, from which you have less control over this data.

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  ...by default; appropriate SELinux rules might be able to restrict
     this, I guess, but I don't know for sure.

[2]  ...which, of course, you shouldn't, because doing that turns a remote
     any-user-account exploit into ownership of a second account, perhaps
     root, and so on.

--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ dan...@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707