Hi, list:

I'm trying to add a Debian-based Xen Dom0 server to puppet management.

One of the files I want to consider is /boot/grub/menu.lst since it contains
some Xen-related options.

When managing it by hand I'd produce a skeleton for menu.lst and then I'd
execute update-grub, which would look for avaliable kernels and would add
related configs to the menu.lst contents.

My first idea came in the lines of (within a class):
        file {
                "/boot/grub/menu.lst":
                        mode   => "0644",
                        owner  => root,
                        group  => root,
                        notify => Exec["update-grub"],
                        source => "puppet:///s_virtualcluster/menu.lst";
        }
        exec { "update-grub":
                path        => "/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin",
                refreshonly => true,
        }

But since update-grub changes /boot/grub/menu.lst itself, the menu.lst
template gets downloaded and update-grub triggered each time puppet runs.

Is there an ellegant manner to deal with it? (like downloading menu.lst to a
different path, and then run update-grub only if md5sum of the real menu.lst
has changed from previous puppet run or if the server version from menu.lst
has changed?

TIA.