Gabriel, I use puppet to maintain files and services across a linux cluster
with some 850 boxes. From time to time a box goes down and has to be
re-imaged. We nuke /etc/puppet/ssl, and restart puppet with puppetd
--waitforcert 60; sign the cert on the puppetmaster, and away we go.

We also use a sym-link for all the clients to get the same puppet config
file, /usr/local/etc/puppet/ is essentially an nfs mount across the cluster.

~Charles~