> 2000 nodes certainly is within my goals with the design, that said there has
> not been such a big deploy.

We've got 500+ nodes on mcollective currently. Nothing special as far
as setup, a few of the contrib agents and few more in house agents.
Nodes are primarily split between two buildings connected by gigE. 95%
response from mc-ping is 300ms, average 200ms.

I'm expecting at least 1000 nodes in three geo areas by the end of the
year. My todo list for this summer has federating some more activemqs
into the setup.

> You'd probably want a few activemq instances in a cluster in such a setup,
> though I've heard of much larger client counts on activemq.

The above all runs off of a single activemq server currently. Quad
core xeon w/ 3gb ram sitting at 99% idle.