On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Douglas Garstang
<doug.garst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Nigel Kersten <nig...@google.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Douglas Garstang <doug.garst...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does switching to external nodes require a forklift approach?
>>>
>>> The other day, I specified an external node script in puppet.conf, and
>>> puppet complained about every single node that wasn't handled by the
>>> external script. It would be nice (and more realistic) to be able to
>>> cut one node over at a time. Is this possible?
>>
>> Absolutely.
>> My external node script just returns the default config for any node it
>> can't find a specific config for.
>
> That's not going to work. When the node isn't defined as an external
> node, I want it to use the node manifest file, not a default. If I was
> going to start using external nodes, some nodes would be external and
> some nodes would not be external, until they where all converted. It
> looks like while this was the case, nothing would work.

As I understood things, external nodes is supposed to work as an
overlay on top of site.pp

Is this not working if you just return an empty list of
classes/variables for a node?

IIRC this works this way today -- let us know if there's a problem with it.

--Michael