I have a "basenode" class which installs most of the packages needed on a specific server. For the database servers, we ensure mysql is installed, setup the directory structure, etc.

But what about "one off" servers? For instance, I have a tools server, that sort of runs random one-off tools in production. Today, I had to install a bunch of python libraries on it to make something in my home directory work that I was trying to get working.

Would you guys have installed those packages manually, knowing that you won't ever really have to launch another server exactly like it, or would you have added those packages to puppet so that they would be installed should the box ever need to be re-configured from scratch? How far would you go to keep puppet and your system 100% in sync?