I do a very simple check:
        # warn if the state files are 90 minutes old, critical at 150
minutes
        nagios::service { "puppet_running": check_command =>
"check_puppet_age!7500!9000!2048!2047",
            notifications_enabled => 0, }
    }

check_puppet_age is: command_line => '/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_file_age
-w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ -W $ARG3$ -C $ARG4$ -f
/var/lib/puppet/state/state.yaml';

Just checks for state.yaml aging - it misses some problems, but for the most
part it fires as expected when a host is disabled, a manifest is broken,
etc..