----- "Daniel Pittman" <dan...@rimspace.net> wrote:

> Mathijs <bluescreen...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > For some definition-based and custom resources, I'm looking for a
> way
> > to tell systems: "only these should be present, the rest should be
> > purged".
>
> Please don't run this, but:
>
>     # The puppet version of rm -rf /*
>     Package { ensure => absent, noop => true }
>     User { ensure => absent, noop => true }
>
>     # These override the defaults
>     package { "foo": ensure => present }

How does this meet his goals? He want to just remove things from the manifest
and they must go away from the machines.

Some providers supports purging and you can purge unmanaged resources using the
resource type, but you really want to be careful with that.

In other cases you can use the trick that's in the FAQ of copying out an empty
dir over a dir full of managed files, it will then purge unmanaged files in
that dir.  But there isn't really a blanket answer to this request today.