On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Brice Figureau
<brice-pup...@daysofwonder.com> wrote:
> On 30/06/10 20:48, Marcus, Allan B wrote:
>> We need to put a script into /usr/local/bin. Which is more efficient, put
>> the text into a variable and use content =>, or put the file on the
>> puppetmaster server and use source =>
>
> Definitely source.

I'm in the process of setting up performance testing for this sort of
question, but my intuition tells me otherwise.  With source =>, the
puppet master still needs to determine a hash of the file to include
in the catalog, which isn't an inexpensive operation.

If you use content => file('/tmp/foo.txt'), the master still needs to
hit the filesystem, but it doesn't need to calculate a checksum.

In addition, if you're using cached catalogs, the agent  doesn't need
to do a round trip to the puppet master file server to manage the file
resource if it's out of state, since the contents are directly in the
catalog.

Just my intuition, I hope to have data to back up my hypothesis by the
end of next week.

--
Jeff McCune
http://www.puppetlabs.com/