ISC dhcpd supports secure DDNS updates. It will send an update as it's handing out an IP address. For this to work, you do need to figure out a way to determine the DDNS hostname. You can trust the hostname passed by the client, and/or you can override it with one you generate yourself.

The way I'm handling DDNS is:

* Generic forward/reverse rules in dhcpd.conf for everybody.
* Specifically-named host entries get added/sync'd to dhcpd.conf through Cobbler. * An additional layer of A/PTR and CNAME records is handled through a Puppet class.

The first two points are pretty well-documented through Google. The last seemed like a neat way of dealing with vhosts and Puppet nodes in general, and was kind of my test class for storeconfigs. DDNS update objects are exported on the Puppet clients (as part of an Apache vhost declaration, for example) and collected on the server that runs Cobbler and DHCP (which is authorized to send DDNS updates to the domains we're working with).

It works pretty well!