I use a custom fact in modules/mysql/lib/facter/server_id.rb:
# Converts ip address to long for mysql id
def get_mysql_id
    mysql_id = nil;
    mysql_id = Facter.ipaddress.split('.').inject(0) {|total,value| (total
<< 8 ) + value.to_i}
end

Facter.add("mysql_server_id") do
    setcode do
        get_mysql_id
    end
end

Then the mysql_id is used by the template as the node id.