I'm trying to use puppet to manage a directory full of files. Files are
each a collected resource. In my case, they're part of nagios. But I
can't really get it to work. The purge on the directory doesn't take
into account the collected resources, so they end up racing.

My code is basically:

class server {
  Nagios_service <<||>>

  file { "/etc/naginator/services.d":
    ensure  => directory,
    recurse => true,
    replace => true,
    purge   => true,
    require => File["/etc/naginator"],

class target {
  @@nagios_service { "check_ping-${hostname}":
    ensure        => present,
    check_command => "check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%",
    use           => "generic-service",
    host_name     => "$fqdn",
    target    => "/etc/naginator/services.d/ping-$fqdn.cfg",

I see a couple of threads from last year about this, but no really
satisfying conclusions. It sounds like most people end up adding a
dependency which causes everything to purge and then be recreated
anew. Which feels like a lot of churn.

Do folks have a nice solution for this?

seph