Also, I have something like this for creating the certificates, works just
about fine, and helps in not being paranoid about drawbacks of using
puppet's certs:

class certs{

                                package  {"openssl":

ensure=>present,

                                                 }

                                file
{"/var/local/certificates/certs.sh":
                                                        ensure=>"present",

content=>template("certs.erb"),
                                                        owner=>"puppet",
                                                        group=>"puppet",
                                                        mode=>"755",

require=>Package["openssl"],
                                                }

                                exec {"sh certs.sh":

cwd=>"/var/local/certificates",

creates=>["/etc/ldap/server.crt","/etc/ldap/server.key","$

path=>"/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin",

require=>File["/var/local/certificates/certs.sh"],

certs.erb:

#!/bin/sh

openssl req -new -x509 -nodes -days 1826 \
 -out /etc/ldap/server.crt \
 -keyout /etc/ldap/server.key  \
 -subj /CN=<%= fqdn %>

# Generate the .pem file
cat /etc/ldap/server.crt \
 /etc/ldap/server.key \
 > /etc/ldap/server.pem

chown openldap:openldap /etc/ldap/server.pem
chown openldap:openldap /etc/ldap/server.crt
chown openldap:openldap /etc/ldap/server.key

I could just add a few lines of copying certs to other locations and set the
required permissions.