I have to agree with Daniel on this one.  While it's annoying to build
Solaris (in my case) packages for every CPAN package you want to install,
then end result is that I can control the installed version *precisely*.
While it may never have been a problem for you, I've been bitten more than
once by CPAN upgrades that break my software, so "old" systems work while
new systems don't.