This feels like a FAQ and sorry if it is, I failed to find an answer.

I'd like some advice on handling backward compatibility between puppetd
and puppetmaster.

My puppetmaster is at v0.24.5 using Debian Lenny packages.  I tried to
bring up a puppetd client v0.25.4 (Ubuntu 10.04 packages) but failed to
have it download the puppetmaster's certificate.  The puppetd client
seemed to be asking for the wrong path as I see log messages like:

[2010-08-31 12:59:40] ERROR `/production/certificate/ca' not found.

And, indeed, I find no such paths around on the master.

Should this combination work?

In general how do people handle version sheer?  Do you ignore the
packages that come from with the OS and install the same version
everywhere from source?  Something else?

Thanks!
-Brett.